[mrtg] Cfgmaker 2.16.1 and SNMP v3

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Mar 28 22:17:56 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 13:41 -0700, Bledsoe, Howard W. CIV (CNRNW) wrote:
> All:
>
>         I need some help setting up SNMP V3 to monitor some Cisco
> routers.  I was able to set up the routers OK, but cannot seem to get
> cfgmaker to work.  Previous installations using the older SNMP
> versions have worked just fine for years.  I did download and install
> the latest and greatest MRTG with no apparent problems.
>
> # /path/to/cfgmaker --enablesnmpv3 --username=myusername
> --authpassword=mypassword myusername at 123.45.67.8

the --enablesnmpv3 directs that you want to use the Net::SNMP modules
instead of SNMP_Util.  The MRTG distribution does not include Net::SNMP.
You will have to load them separately (either form a package, or CPAN)

> Undefined subroutine &main::snmpmapOID called at /path/to/cfgmaker
> line 1532
>
>         Can anyone help?  I must confess great ignorance of V3.

The version still needs to be specified on the host:
/path/to/cfgmaker --enablesnmpv3 --username=myusername
--authpassword=mypassword myusername at 123.45.67.8:::::3

and to be clear, this would only work if the command line on IOS used to
generate the snmp user was something like:

snmp-server group mygroup auth
snmp-server user myuser mygroup auth md5 mypassword

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy