[mrtg] System Requirements for MRTG

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri May 9 00:02:56 CEST 2008

I'm polling 8727 targets every 5 min (at the last count), many of which
are external plugins (which will need more memory).  This needs a dual
3GHz Xeon with 4Gb memory, running Linux.  The main bottleneck at this
scale, though, is disk IO.  Get the fastest disk you can, and you ll
need less memory (since processes will end quicker).  CPU requirements
depend on how many targets, and what sort of targets (straight interface
SNMP queries go much quicker and need less resources).

Steve

I was requested to install MRTG for monitoring purpose. I am a newbie to
this.

Can you advice what are the System Requirements for installing MRTG on
OS Windows?

Appreciate your help on this. Thank you very much!