[mrtg] System Requirements for MRTG

DA Forsyth iwrtech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Fri May 9 10:20:48 CEST 2008

On 8 May 2008 , Tan, Vyona entreated about
 "[mrtg] System Requirements for MRTG":

> Hi,
>
> I was requested to install MRTG for monitoring purpose. I am a newbie to
> this.
> Can you advice what are the System Requirements for installing MRTG on OS
> Windows?
> Appreciate your help on this. Thank you very much!

I first ran MRTG on a P100 with Windows 98, probing about 35 targets.
Then I upgraded to a Sparcstation5 running OpenBSD at 110MHz.  That
worked up to about 50 targets and then showed signs of overloading.

Now my main stuff is on a Celeron 700 running FreeBSD 7.0 probing
about 130 targets and it is way underloaded, not working hard at all.

I saw someone elses suggestion of a virtual linux server.  I think
this is a good idea unless you have some hardware to dedicate to
running Linux and MRTG.  Running MRTG under Windows is not my
preference, in fact running any service under Windows is not my
preference (-:   I struggled to get it going, did some fancy stuff to
keep it working, and when I loaded OpenBSD and used that instead it
was a real 'wow, this is so good' moment.  Windows sucks at being a
server.

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research