[mrtg] how to display two devices in one graph

Lee Todd ltodd2 at hallmark-uk.com
Thu May 15 00:56:47 CEST 2008

Steve

Thanks for the advice.  I will have a look at the routers2 front end and
changing to rrd when I get back from my holiday.

Lee
Hallmark Cards Plc

             "Steve Shipway"
             <s.shipway at auckla
             nd.ac.nz>                                                  To
                                       "Lee Todd"
             13/05/2008 23:56          <ltodd2 at hallmark-uk.com>,
                                       <mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [mrtg] how to display two
                                       devices in one graph

> I have mrtg running and have a config for our firewall and one for our
> vpn.
> How would I make it show the usage of the firewall and vpn in one
graph
> using different colours.

I assume you mean to have 4 values being shown on the same graph.

To do this, you would need to be using RRDTool for your backend instead
of the native .log files.  Then you would need to use a frontend which
can handle combined graphs.  At the moment, that means write one
yourself or else use the routers2 frontend, in which you can define a
UserDefined summary graph over multiple targets.

> The other one im a bit confused with is I can have one config with a
few
> devices but I have to run cfgmaker for each device and add them to one
> cfg.
> Can you make cfgmaker produce one cfg with many devices?

Cfgmaker processes a single device.  It is generally considered best
practice to have one .cfg file per device being monitored; if for some
reason you need to have a single file (such as to run MRTG on it in one
pass) then you create a separate 'master.cfg' file which uses the
'Include:' directive to include all the various child cfg files.

I am not exactly being impartial when suggesting to use routers2 as the
frontend, though :)

For a routers2 demo (including combined graphs) see
http://www.steveshipway.org/cgi-bin/routers2.pl

Steve

Registered Office: Bingley Road, Bradford, BD9 6SD
Registered in England no. 03414540

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if
this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately
alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including
any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the
contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.

Think of the environment; please don't print this e-mail unless you
really need to