[mrtg] Configuring MRTG/rrdtool with <1 minute intervals

Jonathan Williams jonathanW at gridpointsystems.com
Wed May 28 00:13:38 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am currently attempting to configure MRTG/rrdtool to poll some SNMP
statistics at a rate under 1 minute. I have followed the instructions
for modifying the configuration file as I understood them, but when I
test the configuration or try to launch MRTG I get an error.

I have checked the mailing list archive (albeit non-exhaustively) and
couldn't find anything related.

Here is the relevent info:

[root at snark mrtg-test]# LANG=C mrtg --check test.cfg
Argument "0:10" isn't numeric in int
at /usr/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 100, <CFG> line 13.
ERROR: CFG Error in "interval", line 13: 0:10 should be at least 1
Minute and no more than 60 Minutes

[root at snark mrtg-test]# cat test.cfg
# Created by
# Jonathan Williams

### Global Config Options

PathAdd: /usr/bin
LogFormat: rrdtool
RunAsDaemon: Yes
Interval: 0:10

#  for UNIX
# WorkDir: /home/http/mrtg
WorkDir: /tmp/mrtg-test

#  or for NT
# WorkDir: c:\mrtgdata

### Global Defaults

#  to get bits instead of bytes and graphs growing to the right
# Options[_]: growright, bits

EnableIPv6: no

(...snip: Target information follows..)

If I remove the "Interval: 0:10" line or set it to a value between 1 and
60 (with no seconds resolution) the configuration loads fine. What am I
doing wrong? The configuration test script appears to be finding rrdtool
and RRDs.pm correctly - but is not allowing me to set intervals under 1
minute.

Thanks in advance!

J.Williams