[mrtg] Performance

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Nov 18 19:51:08 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 19:06 +0100, Jakub M wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to know, are thee any tricks to improve performance of MRTG?
> Parallelization, plugins, wrappers, libraries, ... ? I

have you tried the forks: statement?

>  personally use
> PIII 500 with Debian and it takes 4.5 min to pool about 1000 targets,
> so i think that is a lot.

are you running rrdtool or rateup?  rrdtool consumes less cpu, but a bit
more disk access, so you need a nice fast disk array.

I'm running about 5000 targets, and polling it in about 1.5 minutes, but
I have a two xeon 3.0GHz server (4 total cores) with a strip-set of SAS
drives.  I'm also running forks 30.

another thing I do is cut the timeout and retry intervals much shorter
than default.  I currently use ::3:1:1:3, but note that I use snmp v3

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy