[mrtg] Impact on hosts for monitoring with SNMP

Wed Nov 19 20:27:39 CET 2008

All,

Slightly off-topic - I've been monitoring networking gear with SNMP and MRTG
for years without any perceptible impact to CPU and etc on the monitored
system. However now we need to monitor some counters on Solaris and Red Hat
hosts and one of the system admins is concerned about the impact to the
hosts being monitored.  How can I prove that the impact for SNMP monitoring
is truly minimal? Is there any statisical info out there to confirm this?

Thanks in Advance,

Eric Brander