[mrtg] Measuring (Wan-Out) - (Lan-In) is not working

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Oct 22 14:04:20 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 00:05 -0400, Feijo, Fernando wrote:
> I was wondering if someone could figure out what is going wrong on
> this one.

counter roll-overs.  With 32 bit counters, you will have frequent
rollovers.  Now try to do math on two sets of rolling counters - there
is no way to determine if they have rolled or not.

> Thanks if someone can point in the right direction.

The best way to deal with this is to use rrdtool as the backend, and
routers2.cgi as the front end, and do the math on the two RRDs, rather
than the raw counters.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy