[mrtg] Graph Based Port

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 18 00:04:38 CEST 2008

This is not as simple a thing to do as you would imagine.

Most network devices only keep a count of the total amount of data sent, and do not split this by TCP port number as you want.  To do this, you will need to do some deeper packet analysis.

This can be done via something called an RMAN probe (an expensive network device you can buy), or if you are looking at one specific host, then you may be able to configure special logging rules on the host-based firewall to count packets according to their type.  Under Linux, for example, you can configure IPTables to achieve this.

However, you will then need to create a custom script to retrieve this data and format it for MRTG.

If you are not experienced in scripting and networks, then it may be a better solution for you to look at a product which is designed specifically to do this - search for 'netflow' in Google, and look for PRTG which works with Netflow-enabled devices out of the box to achieve what you want.

Steve

From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch] On Behalf Of jetbar

I am newbie in MRTG,
Need from all of you. Can you give me suggestion to solve my problem. I want to make graph based on port, so I can see how much traffic using FTP (port 21), Email (port 25), Web (port 80). Please give me suggestion or advice.

dangerous content by MailScanner<http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
believed to be clean.