[mrtg] no graph-update

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Sep 30 23:16:41 CEST 2008

> i've strange problem. mrtg will not draw a graph.

First, are you using MRTG in 'native' mode, or 'rrdtool' mode?  If in 'rrdtool' mode, then it will never draw a graph, this is handled by your frontend CGI script instead.

Assuming you are using 'native' mode (IE, with .log files instead of .rrd files)...

> the part from mrtg.conf
> Target[http_1]: `/etc/mrtg/http.cnt`
> MaxBytes[http_1]: 1024
> Options[http_1]: gauge,absolute
> if i'm running the script i'm getting data like this:
> 11356924
> 143649150
> TIME
> FQDN

You have 'gauge' option set, so that means the values are plotted directly.  However, your MaxBytes is set to 1024 and the values are >1024, so they will be ignored and treated as unknown - and so the graph is not being drawn.  Are you sure you need 'gauge' mode?  If you are graphing a traffic rate, and the script outputs a total, then I would expect you do not want gauge mode at all.

Check the output of MRTG when it runs on this cfg file, it should be giving you some error messages?

Steve