[mrtg] Can't create cfg file on Cisco Pix 515

Kevin Wong KWong at PaceWildenstein.com
Fri Apr 24 21:58:24 CEST 2009

Thanks for the advise.  And yes, I have to enable polling on the pix.
It worked.  However, I get this error when I run it.  Why is it "public"
being used as the community name even I change it?

Error:
  can't resolve "mrtg.cfg" to IP address
 at C:/mrtg-2.16.2/bin\..\lib\mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 428
SNMPWALK Problem for public at mrtg.cfg::::::v4only
 at cfgmaker line 950
WARNING: Skipping public at mrtg.cfg: as no info could be retrieved

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch
[mailto:mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch] On Behalf Of McDonald, Dan
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 2:01 PM
To: mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch
Subject: Re: [mrtg] Can't create cfg file on Cisco Pix 515

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 13:22 -0400, Kevin Wong wrote:
> Hi,
> I am experiencing an issue trying to create the cfg file.  See below
> error below.  Can someone point me in the right direction to get this
> resolved?

snmp has to be explicitly enabled per polling device on the pix.

The syntax changed between version 6.2 and 6.3 and 7.0 (yes, 3
different, incompatible sets of syntax) so allowing "polling" from a
particular host is left as an exercise for the reader...

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX Austin Energy
http://www.austinenergy.com