[mrtg] MRTG 2.14.7 and Cisco 6509

Gerd Bitzer Gerd.Bitzer at stadt.freiburg.de
Fri Aug 28 08:43:26 CEST 2009

Hello listmembers,

I have installed mrtg-2.14.7 on a small Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server and I'm trying to monitor the traffic on some interfaces of a Cisco 6509. I have no prob to get a list of all interfaces etc. by using cfgmaker, and have tried to monitor several interfaces (up to 1GBit/s), but no luck. I'm only getting values of 60-200 bit/s or even flatlines. Then I used snmpget to access the counters, which is no prob, but doing 2
consecutive snmpget's with a sleep 100 in between I get the same results, the counters (ifInOctets/ifOutOctets,
ifHCInOctets/ifHCOutOctets by using SNMP v2c) show exactly the same behaviour.

So I believe that's not a problem with MRTG, but with the config of the 6509. This leads me to my question, does anybody have some hints what could cause this behaviour, or a checklist of relevant settings of the 6509 which could be checked ?

By the way, the 6509 has IOS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-JSV-M), Version 12.1(27b)E4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3) installed.

Thanks in advance