[mrtg] Rateup showing text peak values

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 7 19:51:01 CET 2009

Unless you move to MRTG/RRD you're going to be restricted in your options.  With native mode (no RRDtools) you're going to get what you see, which (if I remember correctly) gives you the max peak for the Max value and the Avg avg for the Avg value on w/m/y graphs.

When you see the 'Max' value in the text for the w/m/y graphs, this should correspond to the Max of the Peak rather than the Max of the Avg line, although check this as it is not the case for all  MRTG/RRD frontends.  If you are using Routers2 then the displayed text Max value with the the Max Peak.

If you are using Routers2 as the frontend then you can get the text value for the Avg Peak although this is a strange calculation - make sure this is really what you want - eg for Weekly, this would be the average 30-min maximum of groups of 6 5-min averages, a strange value of dubious use.  To do this you need to add the extended Routers2 option 'maximum' to the Target definition in the cfg file.

Steve