[mrtg] MIB query (re HP/Nortel Blade switches )...

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Feb 2 01:21:17 CET 2009

Possibly, on the Nortel switch, the port descriptions are stored in a
different vendor-specific area (cisco do this, but cfgmaker has specific
support for the cisco description).  In this case, you'd need to write your
own interface template to extract and use them.

Another possibility is that a weird auth rule on the switch is blanking out
this specific community from viewing the specified OIDs, but this is less
likely.

Steve

  _____

From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch]
On Behalf Of Hazell Derek

By the way, regarding my query about the HP/Nortel blade switches I should
have mentioned, when I run snmpwalk against the HP blade switch, that the
snmpwalk response is missing the description data, while a similar snmpwalk
query against a cisco switch does return the port description data.

So it seems to me that I must do something to the blade switch to make the
description data accessible. It also seems to me that I might need to also
do something to the mrtg server to make it return this description data.
Appreciate any guidance.