[mrtg] Wrong Values

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 00:22:38 CET 2009

On February 27, 2009 3:14 pm Niall O'Reilly wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 11:41 -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > snmpwalk -v 2c -c <communitystring> <server.address>
> >
> > That will connect via SNMP to <server.address> and list all the SNMP
> > MIB entries that it knows about.
         Note:  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> 	That may work for you, but ...
>
> 	The (version of the) snmp* tools I've used have a default MIB
> 	hierarchy which is used implicitly if no further command
> 	argument is given after <server.address>.  YMMV, as this
> 	could be a build-time option for all I know.
>
> 	In order to have the entire MIB returned, I've needed to
> 	over-ride this default by specifying '.' (the root of the
> 	MIB hierarchy), as shown below.
>
> snmpwalk -v 2c -c <communitystring> <server.address> '.'
>
> 	The quotes are not at all necessary, but make the dot easier
> 	for humans to see.

I wondered about that (getting the complete MIB hierarchy and all the SNMP
values).

Running snmpwalk without any MIB listed would spew back a bunch of stuff,
but never seemed to be everything available (at least when I started
searching for things like diskIO, laLoad, hrStorage, etc).  I'd end up
grep'ing through the MIB texts under /usr/share to find the tree I wanted,
and use that in the snmpwalk query.

Thanks for the pointer to ".".  Very useful little thing.  :)
--
Freddie
fjwcash at gmail.com