[mrtg] Can MRTG do this?

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Sat Jan 10 00:12:55 CET 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 12:06 +1300, Eric Woods wrote:
> Hi (if this is a double-post please forgive me),
>
> I am looking at getting an Asus WL-600g modem/router/wap. I would like
> to able to monitor how much traffic each computer connected to it
> (wired and wireless) uses. The WL-600g is linux based and appears to
> have SNMP, so I am hoping MRTG is a viable option.
>
> However, I could not find an answer anywhere to a couple of questions:
>
> Can MRTG log traffic per connected computer separately?

MRTG could, if the WL-600g provided per-host counters.  Most likely the
WL-600g does not.  MRTG does not have any magic way of creating counters
for things - it merely graphs whatever counters it is told to read.

> I use an offsite web hosting company, where I intend to install MRTG
> (as it is on 24/7). Will this work - can MRTG on the offsite server
> connect to the WL-600g, or does MRTG have to be running on a local box
> connected directly to the WL-600g?

As long as you allow snmp packets, it will work.  Putting on my security
hat, I don't know that I would want to allow snmp packets from a network
I didn't control, but that's your call.  SNMP V3 would certainly be a
requirement in my environment.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy