[mrtg] Can MRTG do this?

Eric Woods Eric.Woods at MindSpaceSolutions.com
Mon Jan 12 05:42:40 CET 2009

Thanks Steve, very helpful thanks.

I thought what I required might be possible because I took a look at what X-Wrt (an open source router formware) is capable of - logging bandwidth for each ip address - see the link below
http://wiki.x-wrt.org/index.php/Image:Kp_status-bandwidth.png

However, I guess, that might be because they have built iptables into the firmware:
http://wiki.x-wrt.org/index.php/Image:Kp_status-iptables.png

Unfortunately, the WL-600g is not capable of running X-Wrt, and is not that likely to in the near to mid future. And I can't warrant the extra power consumption of a 24/7 linux box in this case. So I guess in my case, if I really need bandwidth logging, my best option would be to get an X-Wrt compatible router.

Thanks again,

Eric

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Steve Shipway
  To: Eric Woods ; mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch
  Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:27 PM
  Subject: RE: [mrtg] Can MRTG do this?

  Short answer is that MRTG can monitor the device, but nothing can log the traffic per-computer, because this device does not provide that level of detail in the information.

  Longer answer is that, for the WIRED connections, the internal switch probably keeps per-port counts, so devices with dedicated ports on the device you can probably count traffic for (although it will include internal traffic).

  MRTG can monitor anything it can talk to, so there is no reason you should not be able to monitor this device from a remote site, provided you enable SNMP on the external interface.

  If you want to monitor all WAN traffic per-source/destination, you will need to either have an additional network sniffer, or else route all traffic via another (linux?) server which can use software (eg iptables) to perform the required additional packet analysis.

  STeve

  From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch [mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch] On Behalf Of Eric Woods [Eric.Woods at MindSpaceSolutions.com]

  I am looking at getting an Asus WL-600g modem/router/wap. I would like to able to monitor how much traffic each computer connected to it (wired and wireless) uses. The WL-600g is linux based and appears to have SNMP, so I am hoping MRTG is a viable option.

  However, I could not find an answer anywhere to a couple of questions:

  Can MRTG log traffic per connected computer separately?

  I use an offsite web hosting company, where I intend to install MRTG (as it is on 24/7). Will this work - can MRTG on the offsite server connect to the WL-600g, or does MRTG have to be running on a local box connected directly to the WL-600g?