[mrtg] Required help

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jan 13 22:57:30 CET 2009

It depends on your configuration.  Count the number of Targets, not the
number of devices - for example, a 48-port switch would be 48 metrics, or 49
if you also monitor CPU.  A server may be only 3 metrics (if you monitor
CPU, memory and one network interface).

Firstly, make sure you're using MRTG with RRDtool as the backend (and
probably Routers2 as the frontend, but my recommendation is a bit biased in
that area).  This will speed things up by a factor of 10 or more.

Next, you should get fast disks (so forget that old EIDE stuff) as it
bottlenecks on disk access.

Make sure you have enough memory - this depends on how many threads you are
running, and how many external data collection plugins you use, and how
quickly the polling completes.

Try to use RRDtool 1.3.x or later, and MRTG in daemon mode, as this has
greatly improved IO handling.  If you are using UNIX (instead of Windows)
you will also get proper threading control and disk IO memory mapping which
all helps performance.

Finally, a 3GHz Xeon processor, with 1GB memory, should be easily sufficient
for up to 1000 or more targets, even if you are using data collection
plugins, provided you have decent backend disks.  I have found that the
limiting factors in order of priority are:

1. Disk speed (the big IO bottleneck)

2. Memory (as load increases, so do the number of threads and therefore the
number of processes, and if the process is Perl it uses more memory)

3. CPU count (IE the number of things that can run at once)

4. CPU speed

For comparison - we have almost 5000 Targets on our 2x3GHz Xeon Linux system
with 3GB memory, many of which are Perl data collection plugins.  We are
bottlenecking on IO, but do not yet use RRD1.3 (still in testing due to
scheduling problems) but are still running safely within capacity.

Steve

  _____

From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch]
On Behalf Of Desai, Mandar
I am going to install mrtg to monitor 300 devices. I would require a help
from you all to find out what server hardware configuration would it require
if I want to monitor those 300 devices.