[mrtg] MRTG vs. Cricket

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jan 30 23:24:29 CET 2009

Common problem (this really should be in an FAQ somewhere...?)

If you are polling at the default 5-min interval, a 32-bit counter will wrap at approximately 140Mbps.  Since by default MRTG will use SNMPv1 you end up using a 32bit counter unless you specify to use SNMPv2 and get the 64bit HC counters.

In your Target[] definitions, put a trailing :::::2 to specify to use SNMPv2, eg:

Target[foo]: 1:comm at device:::::2

This will use the 64bit counters, which can handle a rate of many many Gbps before wrapping, event at 5min intervals!

Another option is to use 1min intervals, but this only postpones the problem until about 700Mbps.

Always use SNMPv2 for any device supporting >100Mbps interfaces.

Steve