[mrtg] MRTG Not updating after upgrade

Rafael Possamai rafaelpossa at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 16:48:59 CEST 2009

I assumed your SNMP+MRTG was set up correctly... But now that you changed it
and it worked (or at least tried to gather data from it) I think that maybe
something was going on with SNMP. On my server I take all the data from
shell scripts, for example:
mrtg-load (memory and cpu)
mrtg-ip-acct (e.g. eth0)

Once I took data from sensors (lm-sensors) and it was working fine. After I
rebooted the server I noticed it stopped showing any new data with no error
messages. What happened was that the output was always 0 because the modules
for lm-sensors weren't loaded. So maybe your SNMP was giving MRTG useless
data like null/zero.

Here is a script for memory/cpu script: http://www.ext3.com.br/cpu.sh

wget that, chmod +x cpu.sh and the lines for it on mrtg.cfg should look
something like this:
--------
# Performance
*Target[perf]:`/path/to/cpu.sh`*
Title[perf]:"Average cpu load and memory use"
PageTop[perf]:"<h1>Average cpu load and memory use</h1>"
Options[perf]: growright,gauge,nopercent,noinfo,nobanner
YLegend[perf]: Percentual
ShortLegend[perf]: %
MaxBytes[perf]: 100
Legend1[perf]: CPU Load
Legend2[perf]: Memory use
LegendI[perf]: Load
LegendO[perf]: Mem
--------

If it works just fine... I would say your problem is at the snmp set up.

Rafael.