[mrtg] cfgmaker don't add up

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Wed Jul 15 11:29:25 CEST 2009

Phil Ratté wrote:

> The problem starts on Interface13:
>
> Interface 13 >> Descr: 'FastEthernet0/17'
>
> I've tried different options and switches on cfgmaker and Interface 13 has
> the problem
>
> Anyone knows what's going on ?

	You don't say what the "problem" is, so we have to guess.

	Whenever cfgmaker doesn't include an interface, it may be for
	any of a number of reasons, including the following.

	1. Cfgmaker obtains a description of the interface using SNMP,
	and find that it has properties (such as 'administratively down'
	or '<something> not a reasonable value') which trigger a
	built-in filter in cfgmaker.  As a result, this interface is
	excluded from the generated configuration.  There are options to
	cfgmaker for	disabling (some of) this filtering; I'm not
	familiar with these.

	2. All or part of the description of the interface in question
	is unavailable using SNMP, due to policy configured in the
	equipment, or to some other reason.

	3. The interface in question doesn't actually exist.

	To see what SNMP is reporting for the device, the 'snmpcmd'
	family of tools is useful.  If these are available on your
	server (and it's some kind of *nix system), you can find out
	more using the command

		man snmpcmd

	I suggest you may find 'snmpwalk' useful.

	--
	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services