[mrtg] Newbie Help - MRTG setup

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jun 4 02:43:53 CEST 2009

Currently, the only way to get multiple devices on the same graph (IE, more than 2 variables or more than 1 Target) without coding something up yourself is to use MRTG in RRDTool mode (as opposed to native .log mode) and use the Routers2 frontend.  Then you candefine userdefined graphs over multiple Targets, totalling, stacking or averaging the data.

The generally-accepted best practice for MRTG is to have a separate .cfg file for each device, each named differently.  Then have a master.cfg file which uses Include: to include all the seaprate cfg files, and run MRTG on this master.cfg.

Steve

From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch [mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch] On Behalf Of Park, John [john.park at absg.com]
Hi All,
I’m trying to get MRTG setup for the first time.  I think I got it setup for one device but how do I setup multiple devices, on the same graph?  I ran the cfgmaker with the same output but it overwrote the first cfg file, it didn’t append to the end.  Do I have to create a mrtg.cfg file for each device but name it differently?  Do I have to run the service to look at each cfg file?

Regards,
John