[mrtg] MRTG SNMPv2c cannot walk router

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Jun 11 18:26:25 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 08:08 -0700, Ed LaFrance wrote:
> Hello all -
>
> I've got Mrtg v2.15.0 running on an old RH 9 box, and also on more
> recent CentOS 4.x and 5.x boxes.
>
> I've just set up a couple of new RouterBoard routers and want to
> query them with MRTG. When doing so with SNMPv1, all works great. But
> when I select SNMPv2c, SNMPwalk fails on all three monitoring stations:
>

> I also have an snmpwalk binary on the RH box, and that works fine
> when querying against the router using v2c:
>
> snmpwalk -c public -v 2c r1.0 | more
> SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: router

> Anyone have any ideas on steps to troubleshoot? There is no way to
> turn on/off SNMPv2c support in the router, it is on by default.

2.15 had some funkiness with certain devices that misbehaved in odd ways
- sorry that I don't recall the details precisely.  You might try
grabbing the latest SNMP_Session.pm, SNMP_util.pm, and BER.pm from
http://www.switch.ch/misc/leinen/snmp/perl/ or google code.

Or, you might have to set the flags for avoid_negative_request_ids or
use_16bit_request_ids in SnmpOptions[].

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com