[mrtg] Difference Between SNMP1 & SNMP2 cfg files

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Mar 23 18:51:57 CET 2009

Yes, this is true.  I was only referring to differences in the configuration file; its worth remembering the effect of noHC[] on SNMPv2 targets though, which I forgot to mention.

Steve
From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch [mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch] On Behalf Of McDonald, Dan [Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com]

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 20:31 +1300, Steve Shipway wrote:
> On the whole, the only difference between an SNMPv1 and SNMPv2-based
> MRTG configuration file is that to use SNMPv2 you have ':::::2' on the
> end of the Target definition.

In the file, yes.  But there is something else going on in the
background.  mrtg polls ifInOctets and ifOutOctets when using snmp v1 or
if the noHC[] directive is present, and ifHCInOctets and ifHCOutOctets
when using snmp v2 or v3 without the noHC[] directive