[mrtg] Mrtg Compile Errors

wu hong rose_hongwu at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 25 22:14:17 CET 2009

Hi,

I am a new user to MRTG. Hope anyone can help me out.

I am trying to install mrtg-2.16.2 version on Solaris 10 sparc server according to the installation guide: http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-unix-guide.en.html. I followed the same steps and compiled the following software required for MRTG except that I put them under /apps/mrtg instead of /usr/local/src:

zlib-1.2.3.tar.gz
libpng-1.2.35.tar.gz
gd-2.0.35.tar.gz

However when I tried to compile MRTG, I got the the following errors for configure command. What do I miss here? Any help would be much appreciated.

gorilla.tmi.telus.com# ./configure --prefix=/apps/mrtg/mrtg-2.16.2 --with-gd=/apps/mrtg/gd --with-z=/apps/mrtg/zlib --with-png=/apps/mrtg/libpng
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for groff... no
checking for nroff... /usr/bin/nroff
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/sfw/bin/ggrep
checking for egrep... /usr/sfw/bin/ggrep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... (cached) yes
checking for unsigned long long... yes
checking for long long... yes
checking for strtoll... yes
checking for printf long long format specifier... %lld
checking for pow in -lm... yes
checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg_ft in -lgd... no
checking for gdImageGd in -lgd... no
checking gd.h usability... yes
checking gd.h presence... yes
checking for gd.h... yes

** Ooops, one of many bad things happened:

   a)  You don't have the GD library installed.
       Get it from http://www.boutell.com, compile it and
       use either --with-gd-lib=DIR and --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify
       its location. You might also have to use --with-z-inc,
             --with-z-lib and --with-png-inc, --with-png-lib for gd
             versions 1.6 and higher.  Check config.log for more
       information on the problem.

   b)  You have the GD library installed, but not the gd.h
       header file.  Download the source (see above) and use
       --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify where the file can be found.

   c)  You have the library and the header file installed, but
       you also have a shared GD library in the same directory.
       Remove the shared library files and/or links (e.g.
       libgd.so.2.0.0, libgd.so and libgd.so.2).  This is especially
             likely if you're using a recent (post 1.8.4) version of GD
       and didn't configure it with --disable-shared.

   d)  You have gd library installed and also it's headers, but you are
       missing libpng (and headers) or freetype (and headers)
       (mrtg does not use freetype, but if your copy of gd is precompiled
       against it, you have to install it ...

   Consider following the instructions in doc/mrtg-unix-guide.txt