[mrtg] Traffic Graphs for PPPoE Users

Khemara Lyn lin.kh at wicam.com.kh
Thu Mar 26 13:10:07 CET 2009

Dear All,

First, I'd like to apologize in advance; I'm very new in the list and this is
my very first post.

I was browsing through the whole archive but could not find any solutions to
my problem.

I have a Cisco router as a PPPoE server serving ADSL users with authorization
and accounting information stored on a RADIUS server.

I'd like to be able to graph traffic on the Cisco router based on user names.
When a user comes online, a related interface is created with an interface
name starting with "Virtual-Access" and then  a PPP session number. And the
number is not fixed for a particular user; it is assigned randomly whem a
user dials in, making it impossible to graph the traffic by interface name or
IP.

My question is that, does anyone have experience with graphing traffic based
on PPPoE users? Or at least based on interface description?

The virtual interface description can be configured from a RADIUS AV-pair, so
there is a way to generate traffic graph based the interface description, it
would be one solution.

Hope for your kind inputs

Thanks & regards to all,
Khem