[mrtg] cfgmaker error: No response from remote host

Chris Henderson henders254 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 06:14:40 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Steve Shipway <s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> Sound like cfgmaker is getting confused by the community string and is using the wrong one somehow.
>
> Try experimenting with the number of escape characters for the @ in the community, or use single quotes:
>
> cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /srv/www/htdocs/mrtg/172.16.20.1'
>  --global 'Options[_]: growright' --output /etc/mrtg/switch.cfg
>  --subdirs=HOSTNAME --ifdesc=nr --ifdesc=descr --ifdesc=alias
>  --ifref=name 'He\@pr at 172.16.20.1'
>
> if this doesn't work, use 2, 3 or 4 backquotes before the @ instead, I don't know without testing how many times cfgmaker is evaluating it and removing the \ characters.  Really, cfgmaker should have some code to identify problem characters in the community string and escape them automatically...  make the regexp matching 'greedy' so that the last @ is taken as the separator.  But that's someone else's problem :)
>
> Steve

Tried "community string" with no luck.

Every time I run cfgmaker I get different error; this time it's
"SNMPWALK Problem for ipAdEntIfIndex", sometimes it's "ifType" and
other times it's "ifDescr"  (however, getting these info via snmpwalk
works just fine.). The cfg file that is being generated has many
entries commented out (with #).

In the .cfg file there is an error message:

Sometimes I get:

### The following interface is commented out because:
### * it is operationally DOWN
### * has a speed of 0 which makes no sense

Other times I get:

### The following interface is commented out because:
### * has a speed of 0 which makes no sense

Thanks.