[mrtg] 2.16.2 Compile Problem

CincyJim JCanaday at ArdusMedical.com
Thu May 21 19:22:46 CEST 2009

Trying to do a new install of MRTG 2.16.2 on Ubuntu 9.04; following the
instructions in /doc/mrtg-unix-guide.txt.
Ubuntu doesn't seem to come with gd, so I downloaded gd-2.0.35, zlib-1.2.3,
and libpng-1.2.35.

Not an expert but, it looked to me like all the required libraries installed
correctly.  When I try:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mrtg-2 --with-gd=/usr/local/src/gd
--with-z=/usr/local/src/zlib --with-png=/usr/local/src/libpng
things run to here...
checking gd.h usability... yes
checking gd.h presence... yes
checking for gd.h... yes

** Ooops, one of many bad things happened:

   a)  You don't have the GD library installed.
=)I do, and I have the correct path in the --with switches.

   b)  You have the GD library installed, but not the gd.h header file.
=)Clearly, I do - it's the last line before the fail.

   c)  You have the library and the header file installed, but ... didn't
configure it with --disable-shared.
=)Yes, I did, and there were no *.so.* or *.so files anywhere I can find.

   d)  You have gd library installed and also it's headers, but you are
missing libpng (and headers) or freetype (and headers)
=)Both incorrect.  libpng (and headers) installed, gd compiled without
freetype.

Consider following the instructions in doc/mrtg-unix-guide.txt
=) Not to seem rude but, that's how I got here!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong and, more
importantly, what to do get back on track?