[mrtg] Antw: Re: MRTG 2.14.7 and Cisco 6509

Gerd Bitzer Gerd.Bitzer at stadt.freiburg.de
Wed Sep 2 08:35:41 CEST 2009

Hi Dan,

thanks a lot for this precious info. Looks that I have to change some serious words with my collegues who administrate the 6509's.

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 08:43 +0200, Gerd Bitzer wrote:
> Hello listmembers,
>
> So I believe that's not a problem with MRTG, but with the config of
> the 6509. This leads me to my question, does anybody have some hints
> what could cause this behaviour, or a checklist of relevant settings
> of the 6509 which could be checked ?
>
> By the way, the 6509 has IOS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-JSV-M),
> Version 12.1(27b)E4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3) installed.

Wow, that's pretty old hybrid code.  In hybrid mode, you will get odd
results from the MSFC, due to packet offloading by the PFC.  Try polling
the switch supervisor instead.

Also, the MFSC2 is rapidly approaching end of life.  You may want to
bite the bullet and plan an upgrade to sup720 or sup32, hopefully at
least running native-mode, although I personally prefer modularity mode
(boots way faster).  I've not had any weirdness with SNMP on sup720's.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com