[mrtg] ERROR: could not send thresholdmail to xxx at xxx.com at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg line 1831

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Sep 11 05:34:06 CEST 2009

Check that you have the correct email address, that your have defined the SMTP server correctly, that there is no firewall in the way preventing you from contacting the SMTP server.    Also check the mail serve rlogs to see if the request was rejected for configuration reasons - some mail servers reject incoming SMTP from non-trusted hosts, or they verify the FROM address is deliverable (so check what you sent as the sender address) and so on.

Of course, if you did not think you have configured thresholding or threshold emails then you should check your config as well!

Steve