[mrtg] Monitoring Load

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Sep 25 10:50:49 CEST 2009

If you are using SNMP, then the cfgmaker generic host template available at http://www.steveshipway.org/cfgmaker will do the trick nicely.

Make sure you use the 5-min load average, not the 1-min or 15-min, if you are polling at 5-min frequency (but use the 1-min if you are polling at 1-min frequency, of course)

If you cannot use SNMP, then you might like to use the Nagios NRPE agent with the check_load plugin, then use the mrtg-nrpe plugin for MRTG to allow MRTG to query the values fomr the Nagios agent.  mrtg-nrpe is in the 'extras' directory of the standard Routers2 package from http://www.steveshipway.org/software - this is the way we do it here.

Steve