[mrtg] number of monitored routers is it related to MRTG stopping RRDB update?

Alex Koueik akoueik.c at stc.com.sa
Tue Sep 1 15:18:46 CEST 2009

Hi,

We are currently monitoring 300 routers. Is there anyone monitoring a higher number of devices with MRTG RRDB?
Our problem is that MRTG server stops updating the RRDBs while the MRTG process is still running.
We tried het below:

1-      Stopped and restarted the MRTG processes, RDDBs are updated for a period and then stopped again.

2-      Increased the child processes (Forks) from 4 to 12 processes, RDDBs updated for a period and then stopped again.

3-      We installed a carbon copy of MRTG on another machine the problem occurred on both machines at different times.

4-      We debugged snmp on some of the routers during the outage, they were not receiving any snmp requests from MRTG.

5-    We are getting from messages log: "ERROR: I Quit! Another copy of mrtg seems to be running. Check /data/mrtg-2/cfg/mrtg.pid"

6-    In the MRTG debug we are getting the following :

"ERROR: Target[route1][_IN_] ' $target->[14]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data"

"SNMPGET Problem for 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6.1 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.10.1 on community at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx::::1:2:v4only
            at /data/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg line 2149

2009-09-01 00:13:47 -- --snpo: SNMPfound -- 'undef', 'undef'"

OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant) 3.4.3-9.EL4
MRTG: mrtg-2.15.1
RRDtool: rrdtool-1.2.19

Any pointers on where the problem is, is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

| Alex Koueik | L2 CF-NOC Engineer | STC | ext: +96614522647 | m: +966555211869 | www.stc.com.sa |

"The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. This e-mail is intended only for the stated addressee. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform us immediately and delete it and all copies from your system."
J Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail and any attachments

The information in this email may contain confidential material and
it is intended solely for the addresses.  Access to this email by
anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete the email and destroy any copies of it,
any disclosure, copying, distribution is prohibited and may be
considered unlawful.  Contents of this email and any attachments
may be altered, Statement and opinions expressed in this email are
those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of Saudi
Telecommunications Company (STC).

قد يحتوي هذا البريد الالكتروني على معلومات سرية موجهة إلى الأشخاص
المرسلة لهم فقط ولا يصرح لأي شخص آخر الاطلاع عليها، وفي حال استلام
هذا البريد الالكتروني بشكل خاطئ فإنه يجب حذفه وإبلاغ المرسل بشكل
مباشر. وأي تسريب لتلك المعلومات أو نسخها أو نشرها يعد أمراً مخالفاً
وقد يؤدي إلى المسائلة القانونية، كما أن الآراء المذكورة بهذا البريد
تمثل رأي مرسلها ولا تعبر بالضرورة عن رأي شركة الاتصالات السعودية.