[mrtg] Logfile entries reset to zeroes after a few hours

Louis van Dyk louis at qdcec.co.za
Wed Apr 28 03:38:20 CEST 2010

Hi Steve

Thank you for your reply.

When I looked at the subjects of the e-mails coming back to root when
with all the MRTG errors, I noticed that there were two distinct subject
lines.

You were correct in the last statement in (b) ... there were TWO MRTG
processes being triggered.  I had not realised that Fedora 12 installs a
cron file as /etc/cron.d/mrtg.  I had ALSO created one in root's
crontab.  Since removing the one (root's crontab) I no longer am getting
errors in my mail, and so expect that the data will no longer be lost.

Oh, and I was running SELinix, and re-applied permissions, which
naturally made no difference.

Thanks for the assistance.  Perhaps you can add your answer to the FAQ
somewhere?  I saw a number of people asking the same question, but no
real answer being given.

Regards
Louis