[mrtg] MRTG Possible to perform metrics to one Host/Destination instead of a Router?

j.halifax . j.halifax at seznam.cz
Tue Aug 24 01:15:06 CEST 2010

Hi Furosh One!

> .....to collect
> stats/metrics on network performance, bandwidth, time, etc from our global WAN
> to a central server that I've setup.
>
> Essentially management would like for me to compare versus our company's public
> FTP site and test against a co-located server in a cloud environment.

I have done something similar with mrtg & rddtool.

I have written a script collecting many characteristics needed.
It checks some current configuration file and generates other
scripts for collecting values need (with several level forking)
and run the generated scripts in parallel (using forks).

The characteristics of the same kind for different objects (i.e.
devices) are being included in one rrdgraph. Then it is easy
to compare them.

If the values are "normal" the lines are closed each other, but
if they are "abnormal" I can see the separate abnormal lines.
That's what I need.

There are also some watch dogs running over data collected
recognizing problems and send alerts...

It's nice (as the problem) and running for several years 24/7
without any problem.

Regards,
Leos.