[mrtg] MRTG Possible to perform metrics to one Host/Destination instead of a Router?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Aug 24 23:09:00 CEST 2010

You can run NRPE without Root access, and (as long as the plugins do not require root) then it will work fine.  In your case, I see no reason why you shouldnt be able to do this, though you'll need to manually start up the NRPE daemon, and you'll need to watch out for any host-based firewalls blocking the port that you have no control over.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead
s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz>
Ph: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86487

From: Furosh One [furosh at gmail.com]

Another issue is that I'll be connecting to several Linux machines across our WAN which have NIS so I can login with my mounted home directory and perform the testing that I need to do. However, I don't have root/sudo access on some of these machines and requesting this may take more time that what I have available for testing.

So if running this without sudo/root access is achievable with not too much effort I think I can give it a shot, otherwise I may need to try to resort to other networking benchmarking tools.