[mrtg] about monitor another server

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Wed Aug 25 15:44:48 CEST 2010

izzati khalid wrote:
> if i want to monitor another servers or computers in my office, is it
> just follow the step in your website? or it has another command? cause
> i try to monitor one of my friend's computer. so her .cfg file is not
> the same as my .cfg file of my computer (because before this i try to
> monitor my computer, just want to know the traffic).

Define monitor.  Do you need to just ping it to see if it's turned on or
do you need more of the internal stuff, like disk space, network
traffice, cpu load, etc?

The .cfg file for what?  The mrtg .cfg files are different for each
device monitored.  At a minimum they need different target names for
storing the data from the device.

Also, it appears you are asking about monitoring desktop computers, but
you have not specified what OS they are running.  Setup does vary by OS.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.