[mrtg] Expanded scale

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 14 20:53:55 CET 2010

You are using a fairly old version of the software -- MRTG is currently 2.16.4 and RRDTool is at 1.4.4 the last time I looked.  Routers2 is at 2.21.  The new versions have a lot more features.

There is an expscale option in MRTG for exponential scale.

You can use routers.cgi*LowerLimit[] to define where the Y axis starts if you dont want a zero-based y-axis.

Unless you use the Routers2 extended option 'rigid' the y-axis will automatically expand to fit the data.  So, you can make sure the 'unscaled' option is not set, the set routers.cgi*LowerLimit[]:69 and routers.cgi*UpperLimit[]:70 and the graph will expand to show your data in the most detail possible arount 70F.

With the latest Routers2 and RRDTool, you can even make a temperature graph display with a second axis showing the temperature in C (using ScaleShift)

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead