[mrtg] cfgmaker and offline switch ports

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Dec 21 14:29:31 CET 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 07:52 +0000, EDV Service Dregger - Support wrote:
> Hey all!
>

> I´m trying to monitor the traffic of our switches which have several
> ports that are down from time to time. What can i do to include them
> into my cfg? I´ve read the FAQ that told me to use the cfgmaker with
> the parameter --no-down parameter like this:
>

> perl cfgmaker --no-down public at esd-sw-02 --global "WorkDir: C:¥inetpub
> ¥wwwroot¥MRTG"  --output esd-sw-02.cfg
>

> Why ever, the ports that are down during creation of the cfg file are
> marked out and so they are not part of the monitoring. I´m sure there
> must be a way to fix my problem, but i don´t know how…. Could you help
> me?

The issue is that the ports auto-sense the speed of the interface.
cfgmaker sees the interfaces with a speed of zero and removes them.  I
recall there was some option to set the default speed for that case, but
I don't recall the option off the top of my head...

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com