[mrtg] mrtg snmp problem

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 28 19:42:57 CET 2010

Here are some things to check --

* Check that MRTG is actually running ( maybe you have cron problems, is cron active?)
* Look at the last-update times on the .png files, are they changing?
* Check your server's clock is set correctly (including the timezone!) else browser cache might stop the images reloading.  Also, make sure you have either a .htaccess file specifying cache timeouts, or else have your browser set to cache correctly (MSIE can sometimes use an aggressive caching mode that doesnt check for changes every time)
* If the image files are not updating, and cron is running, try running MRTG interactively -- is it producing any errors?
* Check the file ownerships -- maybe they are owned by root, but you are running the MRTG as an mrtg user which doesnt have write permission to the directory or files.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead