[mrtg] MRTG not populating graphs from script that works on all but CentOS

Matt Baer matt at baerconsult.com
Fri Feb 12 01:08:42 CET 2010

I created a script to monitor uptime on a number of machines. It's rough, ugly, inefficient, and I will get laughed at, but it works. Here it is:

#!/bin/bash
ticks=$(snmpwalk -v 1 -c public 10.0.0.1 hrSystemUptime.0 | awk '{ print $5 }' )
echo "$ticks"

Now, this script works and populates data for Windows 7, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, etc. However, MRTG WILL NOT populate the data returned from this script from a CentOS machine. I have gone through and verified everything I can possibly think of. When run, the script itself returns the proper data. The config files match perfectly with the other working machine with the exception of the host data of course. To my knowledge, all it needs is a number to graph. The script returns a number, why won't it graph?!