[mrtg] mrtg performance for multiple CPU hosts

Morty morty+mrtg at frakir.org
Thu Jan 28 16:39:00 CET 2010

I'm in the process of migrating MRTG to a new server that has 4x CPUs.
We use MRTG in a traditional setup -- no rrdtool.  We archive the MRTG
output daily to reference later if questions arrive about historical
performance, so it's nice to have the pictures generated
automatically.

Problem: there doesn't seem to be a way to scale MRTG for multiple
CPUs.  "fork", which would seem the logical way, only speeds up the
SNMP queries, not rateup.  I've written some scripts to distribute the
various hosts among a bunch of MRTG configs that I can then call in
parallel, but this is sub-optimal and crude.  In particular, it would
be nice to be able to tune the number of simultaneous threads for SNMP
queries independently of the number of simultaneous rateups.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

- Morty