[mrtg] ifInOctets but no ifOutOctets.... ever seen this?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 20 23:40:25 CEST 2010

I have also noticed this on the unrouted vlans on our Cisco switches.  I assume it is just a peculiarity of the switch, to do with the way unrouted vlans work.  Maybe since in would be equal to out they don't bother with holding a counter for out?

Steve

I've got a weird problem. I've run mrtg (and rtg) against Junipers routers, cisco switches, and several other network device for many years. I generate my own mrtg config files, create my own rrd files, and have custom graphing routines. But I've never run into this problem.

We just add some cisco ios switches to our network. They're configured with several "unrouted vlan". I can usually traffic monitor unrouted vlans without problem. But on these switches, the unrouted vlans have ifInOctet counters but no ifOutOctet counters.