[mrtg] Could not get any data from external command

Bhupen Barman go4bhupen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:13:14 CEST 2010

Hi All,

            We are executing an external script as target (through mrtg
config file), which is not returning anything in case of failure.

            In this case MRTG (2.9.17) stores all 1s in the output log file.
The graphs also plots all 1 in this case. We want to have the output as 0 in
case the sript doesnot returns anything .

            IN the error log I see the following messages -

                       2010-07-29 13:37:50 -- WARNING: Could not get any
data from external command '/sw/unicorn/bin/stats_rpc_client
cfCifsOpenFiles'
                       Maybe the external command did not even start.
(Illegal seek)
                      2010-07-29 13:38:00 -- WARNING: Could not get any data
from external command '/sw/unicorn/bin/stats_rpc_client
cfCurrentCacheVolume'
                      Maybe the external command did not even start.
(Illegal seek)

Regards,
Bhupen