[mrtg] Monitor octets in a sting

Daniel McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Jul 30 15:06:47 CEST 2010

On 7/30/10 5:11 AM, "BitnByte" <daniel.olsson at plastal.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having problems with an octet string. I am trying to monitor the
> ambient on an IBM RSA II card with the OID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.51.1.2.1.5.1
> The return answer is an string with this definition from IBM MIB for this
> RSA II card
> System's ambient temperature in degrees centigrade(C).
>  This is surrounding temperature where the system is installed.
>  An octet string expressed as 'sddd.dd Centigrade' where:
>  s is the sign ('-' for negative or blank space for positive)
>  d is a decimal digit or blank space for a leading zero..
>  The string 'Not Readable!' indicates that the given monitor
>  is not supported on this system.

 The usual idiom from the device manufacturers is to record the value in
integer centi-degrees, then you would use a factor[] to scale it properly.
But a string is not expected...

> so I get the result "  20.00 Centigrade" right now but MRTG don't seem to
> handle it ?

Correct, mrtg expects a number.  You will need to use a "conversion code"
script to make this work.  It's still a perl snippet, but the interfaces are
pretty well defined.  See the docs on this.

A sample perl sub to perform this might be:

sub tempString {
#grab  1st argument as the string to convert
    my $String = shift;
#look for optional negative sign followed by 4 to 6 digits or decimal points

    $String =~ /(-?[\.\d]{4,6})/;
    my $val = $1;
#recast as a number
    $val +=0;
#Convert to an integer
    $val *= 100;
    $val = int($val);

#return the value:
    return $val;
}

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281