[mrtg] cfgmaker run for a long time

Pavel Ruzicka pavouk at pavouk.org
Thu Jun 3 22:25:26 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have now troubles with cfgmaker, that it sometimes run on devices
with many interfaces (about 200-1000) for a long time (many minutes).
Sometimes is cfgmaker finished after few seconds, sometimes after many minutes.

I checked with tcpdump, what is doing. It reads various SNMP OIDs for all
interfaces with ifSpeed as last. Next it do NOTHING for many minutes
(no CPU consumed) and next it fastly reads ifInOctets and ifOutOctets
and dump cfg to output.

This is basic command what I use for tests:
./cfgmaker --community=public router.domain.com

There are many free ram, cache is written to disk with sync.
Sometimes it works great, usually not.
I have two XEONs with 8GB ram. OS is Centos 5.5 x86_64.
I checked same behaviour with MRTG 2.16.4, 2.16.3, 2.16.2.

I haven't idea, what can be wrong.
Maybe upgrade of packages to Centos 5.5?

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka