[mrtg] Latency Graphs

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu May 20 22:47:35 CEST 2010

In my opinion, Smokeping is better if you're specifically interested in latency times; it gives more data and in a better way because it is focussed solely on latency times.

However, if you want a couple of latency times as an addition to your many MRTG graphs, stick with the MRTG+mrtg-ping-probe method; that way you'll get everything in the same interface.

We use the mrtg-ping-probe for core stats; however we also have smokeping installed for the network team to do deeper analysis.  So, you can use both.  If you're using routers2 as your frontend to MRTG/RRD, then you can use the routers.cgi*Extension[] extended directive to link to the Smokeping pages for a device and embed them within the routers2 interface, and get the best of both worlds.

Steve