[mrtg] MRTG not honouring mib file

Babu C babscontact at rediffmail.com
Thu Oct 7 08:13:05 CEST 2010

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 23:26:30 +0530  wrote

>I ran the script with the path to the squid 3.1.8 MIB file as its only
>argument.

>It returned a list of textual strings to OID numbers and the line
>"Loaded 114 OIDs".

>Mike Mitchell

Hi Mike,

First of a big thank you for the reply and that great perl script, it
did the work, as it was supposed to do, though I need to do some
changes and learn little bit about perl( in fact ur script again made
me to start learning perl). Below are the changes I needed to make it
running under FreeBSD 8.1 ( hope that may be helpful to someone & saves
the time)
Changed the following line from
use lib qw(/usr/local/etc/mrtg/lib/mrtg2)
use lib qw(/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1);
( note the semicolon, I had to do some debug to find out what was wrong
with that line, pls keep in mind that I am absolutely zero with perl)

Voila that makes that script to bring all mib values extracted from the
mib file in a beautiful way.

I did check the permissions also.
-r--r--r--  1 mrtg  wheel  30845 Oct  4 11:28 squid.mib

Anyway I am trying to get it run as root initially

But still my problem persist as even I run the script as root the
errors are still there in mrtg log.

>Yes, the mib parser doesn't know what to do with IMPORTS.  You need to
>manually track down the dependencies and add them to your LoadMibs
>line, inthe proper order.

>The netSNMP toolset does know to look in the mib directory for the
>IMPORTS,
>and will follow the chain automatically.  That's why snmpwalk works
>fine,
>and MRTG is confused.

>Note also that LoadMibs is a global configuration command, and that
>only the last one in the config file is used.

Thanx Daniel for the detailed reply,
The squid.mib import statement is as following(copied from squid.mib
file)
IMPORTS
        enterprises, Unsigned32, TimeTicks, Gauge32, Counter32,
        MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-TYPE, Integer32
                FROM SNMPv2-SMI

        DisplayString, TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
                FROM SNMPv2-TC

        InetAddressType, InetAddress
                FROM INET-ADDRESS-MIB;
If I correctly understood your statement then it needs 3 mib files to
understand squid.mib, they are
SNMPv2-SMI,SNMPv2-TC,INET-ADDRESS-MIB mib files. Correct?

So as per the steps you mentioned I changed my LoadMIBs statement as
following
(sorry for the wrapping)
LoadMIBs: /usr/local/etc/mrtg/SNMPv2-SMI.txt
/usr/local/etc/mrtg/SNMPv2-TC.txt /usr/local/etc/mrtg/INET-ADDRESS-
MIB.txt /usr/local/etc/mrtg/squid.mib

Or did I make mistake here? Anyway still the mrtg log shows errors

Thanx a lot
Babs
(sorry for merging both of your mails together to single reply)