[mrtg] Editing a .cfg creating the cgi etc

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 14 22:57:48 CEST 2010

If you are running MRTG in Native mode (no RRDTool) then each run of MRTG will update the .log files, and produce the .html and .png/.gif image files.

If you are running MRTG in RRDTool mode, then each run will update the .rrd files ONLY.  You then need to obtain a CGI script from somewhere (either Routers2.cgi, 14all.cgi or mrtg-rrd.cgi) and install it, and then this CGI will generate the graph images on demand.  MRTG does not create the CGI scripts itself.

Obtain Routers2 from www.steveshipway.org/software<http://www.steveshipway.org/software> unpack it and run the install.pl script to install and configure (but I'm a bit biased in recommending it...)

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead