[mrtg] MRTG/RRD Performance tests: preliminary results

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Mon Sep 13 16:08:29 CEST 2010

On 13/09/10 03:00, Steve Shipway wrote:
> Native mode vs. RRD
> mode http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-rrd.en.html As expected,
> running in RRD mode is much more efficient.  In RRD mode, you use
> only 35% of the CPU requirements, although disk IO is not greatly
> changed.

	I wonder whether the knee in the load/impact curve isn't
	beyond the range of your test setup.

	I noticed a significant change in disk IO (at least as
	shown by CPU IO-wait figures) on migration from native to
	RRD mode.  The move was made under some pressure, as disk
	interference was causing trouble to the nightly backup run.
	Consequently, recording the number of targets and devices was
	not a high priority.  That said, our network hasn't doubled in
	size in half a year, so today's figures of 785 devices
	and 10756 targets give an idea of the scale.

	Best regards,
	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services