[mrtg] New MRTG install... Run as Daemon and RRD setup?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 27 22:54:57 CEST 2010

1.       Yes and no.  You need to use Include: to link them all into a master.cfg and then run MRTG with this, which means they must share all the same global declarations.  I'm working on a patch for MRTG to allow wildcards in the Include: directive but at the moment each file needs to be declared individually.  The recommended 'best practice' is to have one cfg file per device, then optionally link them all together with a 'master.cfg' file that uses Include: statements.  You can also have a 'global.cfg' file that is included by the various device cfg files, which can contain the various global declarations like LogFormat, Interval, WorkDir, and so on.  This forum post talks about it: http://www.steveshipway.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4093

2.       If you are running as a daemon, then you can use 'Forks:' (if you are running under linux/unix) to control the number of threads used, and tune this to make sure the checks are spread out over the 5min interval.  Here, we have home-grown code that makes certain of an even spread in scheduling.  The hit on the network is not really significant; it's the hit on the MRTG system CPU and memory that is more a problem.  You can use RRDTool 1.4.x with rrdcached (in unix socket mode)  to improve disk speed, but you need to use the development snapshot of MRTG for this to work.

3.       If you have 'Logformat: rrdtool' in the MRTG cfg file, then it will attempt to use RRDtool.  You may also need 'Libadd:' to specify the location of the RRDTool Perl libraries if you have not installed them into the site-perl path.  Note that, if in RRDTool mode, you will need to have a frontend installed (eg, routers2 or 14all) as MRTG will no longer generate the graph images every cycle.
Steve
Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand